Sunday, July 25, 2010

Hogue's Top 15 Best Authors List

This past week I did not Travel.  I stayed in the office and caught up on some paper work, did my expense reports, had a doctors appointment, refilled my medication, had a couple conference calls, etc and caught up with my family. 

Since I did not Travel this week, I thought I would do something different.  Because I do a lot of Traveling, most of it by Air (I do go by Train some in Europe, which I enjoy), I get to read a lot of books.  I have a lot of Authors I enjoy and for the most part I can read them faster than they can write them.  A few others that are not on the list that I have enjoyed in the past: Michael Crichton (Dead) "Sphere", "Congo", "Jurassic Park", "Next", Robert Ludlum (Dead) "Jason Bourne Series", Tom Clancy (Stopped Writing) "Clear and Present Danger", "Patriot Games", "Hunt for the Red October", "Red Storm Rising", John Grisham (Latest Books not as good as in Past), "The Firm", "The Painted House", "Rainmaker", "Playing for Pizza".

Here it is my Top 15 Authors.  If you have any I should look at, that you think I may enjoy, please send them.  I enjoy real Horror, supernatural, not slash & cut or the "Fu Fu", girly vampire books that are in vogue now. Those that are Real scary, can't go to sleep at night books.  Detective novels and save the world single handed character books.


1. Stephen King - King of Horror and real spooky Books, especially the books he makes into a series
2. Dean Koontz - Love his Characters and Surreal Stories
3. Randy Wayne White - Greatest Character "Doc Ford" Part Time Gov agent and marine Biologist
4. Vince Flynn - Kick Ass Character "Mitch Rapp"
5. Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child - Great Character "Pendergast" Great Stories, he is an unusual FBI Agent
6. Lee Child - Take no Prisoners "Jack Reacher" a loner that works for good
7. Greg Iles - Location Natchez MS not far from Where I grew up. Several characters that show up in different staring roles in each book
8. Stephen R Lawhead - Great Fantasy, Old Scottish stories
9. James Lee Burke - So. Louisiana, The Dave Robicheaux Character
10. Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch & Mickey Haller LAPD Detective and a Lawyer whose Office is in his car, only in LA.
11. Robert McCammon - Boy's Life, Gone South, Swan Song really spooky books. Too bad he doesn't write more
12. Brad Thor - Scot Harvath, may be moving up
13. James Patterson - Love Alex Cross Character and the Maximum Ride books
14. John Sanford - Prey Books and Lucas Davenport. I Have hard time remembering which I have read
15. David Baldacci - Split Second, Total Control, Absolute Power, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,

    I like the author list. I do like Grisham but I tired on him after reading most of the early books.

    I must say though, I really enjoyed "Playing for Pizza" (I am reading this to my kids before they go to bed) and his non-fiction book, "The Innocent Man"

    Take care,
    Frank

    ReplyDelete